Sunday, January 18, 2009

Buy 1 Take 1 Loot and Japan Home Center Haul




Okay, I love Robinson's Otis now. It has the biggest Japan Home Center branch I've been to so far, and it still has some of the items that I have been looking for. Check out the insulated bento bags! There's the smaller one with the flower print - very Japanese, and the bigger checkered one with a pocket. They are both well-made (there was another plain model that had bad quality stitching). They are still in stock so if you are looking for them, check out the Otis branch. I also got a sandwich box, a Winnie the Pooh container, and.. tada! Did you see the black bento? I had despaired of ever finding one. It's a real Japanese-type 2-tier bento with the top cover. I also got 2 glass containers just in case I cannot avoid having to nuke my lunch. I am trying to avoid microwaving food as much as possible. It is very unhealthy according to various forwarded emails and websites, and microwaving using plastic containers (even microwave-safe ones) are worse. As for me, I also prefer my food cooked and heated the old-fashioned way, and as for the "nuking is bad" claims, I would rather be safe than sorry.

Dad also found a lot of things on Buy-1-Take-1 or some other promo at the supermarket. Those Japanese crackers are good! I am quite pleased at the Lurpak butter haul! P145 for 2 bars? It's cheaper than Anchor! Love love love love good butter on good bread (NOT the tasty-type commercial breads)! Good bread = yeasty, flavorful, slightly chewy. Crusty outside, chewy inside and hole-y! I just don't like the commercial 'tasty' loaf being sold nowadays. They are too refined and make too many crumbs when you slice them. Me like big yeast holes in me bread. Sometimes I actually seek out the "cheaper" breads since they are closer to the real bread I like.

4 comments:

  1. I wish SM Makati or Landmark would put out great deals like that. Robinson's Otis is a bit far from where we live...
    Those bento bags look nice. Garandee just wraps my bento using Japanese bandanas, a bag would definitely be more convenient for carrying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robinson's Supermarkets are great with deals. I've seen some promos at Robinson's Pioneer and Robinson's Place Malate. I hope those places are more accessible for you. Most of the things they put on sale are those that are about to expire, maybe in 1-2 months. But hey, just stick them in the fridge and they should be fine even past the expiration date. We mostly buy the Bega cheeses, sometimes mozzarella, cheddar, etc.. Since they are expensive (regular price), no one buys them and they end up staying on the shelf too long, and end up being put on sale. But I don't think cheese and butter go bad as long as you keep them properly, and we usually use them up within a few months, so it's all good :)

    My dad is waiting for the Christmas hams to go on sale too. Right now only the Royal brand is on Buy 1 Take 1. We're waiting for Purefoods, etc.. heehee. It should be soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, i do the same thing. expiration dates are usually conservative... As long as it doesn't start crawling by itself, it's probably still ok to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Good article , this article make some interesting points .

    Home Centers dir

    ReplyDelete